Are Cashews Healthy? Because We’re Nuts for Them
Written by admin on November 12, 2020
They’re crunchy, wealthy, barely candy and one of the best a part of path combine. We’ll shamelessly choose them out of a roasted nut combine and depart the remainder behind for an additional sorry snacker. They’re cashews, they usually’re on the high of our listing of finest nuts of all time. (Ahem, they’re technically a seed however known as a nut within the culinary world.) However are cashews wholesome? As a result of as soon as we eat one, we simply can’t cease there. And we’ve got a sense we’re not alone (hello!).
Are Cashews Wholesome?
The quick reply? Sure, cashews are wholesome…however there are just a few caveats.
All nuts and seeds are filled with important vitamins—particularly fiber, protein and wholesome fat—cashews included. This makes them a comparatively wholesome snack alternative, since they’ll preserve you glad longer than a sweet bar or handful of potato chips. (Sorry, however it’s true.) They’re naturally low in sugar, salt and ldl cholesterol, except roasted salted nuts, however extra on that later.
Nevertheless, it’s vital to maintain portion measurement in thoughts when noshing on these crunchy guys, since they’re additionally calorically dense. In keeping with the USDA, one serving of cashews is equal to 1 ounce or 28 grams—a few handful, give or take.
Listed below are the diet information for a one-ounce serving of uncooked cashews, per the USDA:
- 156 energy
- 12 grams fats
- 9 grams carbohydrates
- 5 grams protein
- 2 grams sugars
- 1 gram fiber
Gallery: 50 Healthiest Meals to Inventory in Your Pantry (Eat This, Not That!)
However what do these numbers imply? The quantity of protein present in an oz of cashews is equal to that in a similar-size serving of meat. They’re additionally low in carbs and sugars. If that whopping 12 grams of fats looks like it’s so much, know that it’s principally mono- and polyunsaturated fat. These are the “good” fat, or those which are useful to your coronary heart well being and levels of cholesterol.
As a lot as we love our cashews roasted and salted, they do comprise added oil and salt, which knocks the well being issue of a handful of these guys down just a few pegs. If you need the identical toasty taste, strive shopping for uncooked cashews and dry-toasting them at house. (Simply preheat the oven to 350°F, unfold the nuts out on a baking sheet and roast till golden, about 10 minutes—simply don’t stroll away.) You’ll be able to nonetheless sprinkle on a bit flaky salt on the finish, however no less than this manner, you’re ditching the oil.
What Are the Well being Advantages of Cashews?
Along with being a superb supply of fiber and heart-healthy unsaturated fat, cashews pack a punch in relation to sure nutritional vitamins and minerals. One serving incorporates:
- 20 p.c of the really useful each day worth of magnesium, which helps muscle and nerve perform and vitality manufacturing, and may cut back the danger of hypertension, coronary heart illness and diabetes (per the Mayo Clinic)
- 20 p.c of the each day worth of manganese, which is important for sturdy bones, replica, blood clotting and a powerful immune system (per National Institutes of Health)
- 15 p.c of the each day worth of zinc, which helps your immune system and metabolism (per the Mayo Clinic)
- 13 p.c of the each day worth of phosphorus, which aids within the development, upkeep and restore of cells and tissues and helps the kidneys filter waste (per Mount Sinai)
- 11 p.c of the each day worth of iron, which is important on your pink blood cells to hold oxygen all through your physique (per Harvard Medical School)
- 10 p.c of the each day worth of selenium, which helps the thyroid and reproductive system and protects towards free radicals (per NIH)
- 10 p.c of the each day worth of thiamin, which helps the physique generate vitality from vitamins (per the Mayo Clinic)
- eight p.c of the each day worth of vitamin Okay, which is vital to bone well being and wound therapeutic (per Harvard School of Public Health)
- 7 p.c of the each day worth of vitamin B6, which helps the physique use and retailer vitality and type hemoglobin in pink blood cells (per the National Health Service)
That’s a whole lot of data to absorb! The TL;DR? Cashews are filled with good-for-you vitamins and important nutritional vitamins and minerals, so long as you persist with the really useful serving measurement to keep away from a calorie-bomb of a snack.
Why We Love Cooking with Cashews
Apart from being crunchy, wealthy and downright scrumptious, cashews are tremendous versatile within the kitchen. You’re so not restricted to a handful of roasted nuts or trail mix. When toasted, cashews add welcome texture to salads, stir-fries and pasta dishes. Soak them in water, blitz in a high-speed blender and add a splash of lemon juice, and all of a sudden you’ve acquired cashew cream—a tasty vegan substitute for ricotta cheese, bitter cream, Parmesan and myriad different dairy substances. Loosen that cashew cream with a bit extra water and also you’re a luscious salad dressing. Cashews additionally punch above their weight in desserts (cashew frosting, anybody?).
Tasty Recipes to Make with Cashews
RELATED: 20 Healthy Midnight Snacks for Late Night Snacking
for more about Finance latest updates click hear Finance news